An Overview of Planet Saturn
Saturn is the sixth planet away from the Sun in the whole Solar System and it is also the second largest of the planets in the Solar System too. It is also considered as a gas giant while it also has an average radius that is nine times more than the planet Earth. However, when it comes to its average density then it is just one-eighth as compared to the Earth with a volume at least 95 times more than Saturn that is already too massive itself.
Saturn is named after the Roman God of agriculture and is made of a core iron, nickel, and rock (silicon and oxygen) interior.
Saturn has different dimensions with a mass and volume of 5.6836 x 10^26 kilogrammes and 8.2713 x 10^14 cubic kilometres respectively. It also has a surface area of 83.703 than Earth and has a surface gravity of 10.44 meters per second squared too. Saturn has an orbital speed of 29.4571 years of the Earth as well.
The Saturn atmosphere is a deep layer of metallic hydrogen that is surrounded by liquid hydrogen intermediate layers with liquid helium alongside as well. It also has an outer gaseous layer known as the Frenkel line.
The planet is yellow in colour because it has ammonia crystals in the upper atmosphere while it also has an electrical current through the metallic hydrogen layer that it possesses. This is what gives it a magnetic field even though it is weaker than the planet Earth. The wind speeds have reached 1800 kilometres per hour.
It also has nine rings which make up for a complete ring system and has ice particles with few rock and dust particles too. The surface temperature is -139 degrees centigrade at 1 bar level.
Some Interesting Facts:
There are various different facts about the planet, a few of them are given below
- Saturn has one of those moons that is the only one of the Solar System to have its own substantial atmosphere
- This is the only planet that radiates 2.5 times more energy into space than it actually takes from the Sun
- There is 96.3% of molecular hydrogen and 3.25% helium by volume
- This yellow planet has finer cloud patterns and it also has bands that are fainter and more near the equator
- Saturn has 150 moons, smaller moonlets and 32 rings with 7 groups of their own
- It takes 29.5 years of the Earth for Saturn to rotate once around the Sun
- Saturn is the fifth brightest object in the solar system
- It is also the flattest planet of all while it rotates after every 10 hours and 34 minutes to have 2 day which is why it has this shape
- It has the most extensive rings in the whole solar system ever
Since you have made it to the end of this article, we guarantee you that you now have a perfect overview of what the Saturn planet is all about!